1979 Revolution: Black Friday coming to PS4 and Xbox One
8th March 2018
Award-winning interactive drama 1979 Revolution: Black Friday coming to PS4 and Xbox One
Indie publishing label Digerati is delighted to announce that it’s bringing 1979 Revolution: Black Friday, a multi-award winning and BAFTA nominated story-driven adventure, to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. The release date is currently scheduled for spring 2018.
Created by iNK Stories, the entertainment studio co-founded by Rockstar Games alumni Navid Khonsari, 1979 Revolution: Black Friday immerses players in the turbulent real-world events of the Iranian uprising.
1979 Revolution: Black Friday trailer:
Described by Kotaku as “ground-breaking and important”, 1979 Revolution: Black Friday has received widespread acclaim for its gripping narrative and accurate portrayal of a pivotal moment in the history of the Middle East.
1979 Revolution: Black Friday is written and directed by Navid Khonsari, a game development veteran who has worked on a lengthy list of best-sellers, including GTA: Vice City, Alan Wake and Resident Evil 7.
Khonsari grew up in Iran but left with his family after the revolution. Regarded by Iranian officials as ‘pro-American propaganda’, sales of the game have been banned in the country and Khonsari has been accused of being a U.S. spy.
1979 Revolution: Black Friday awards and accolades include:
- Facebook Game of The Year 2017 – Winner
- IndieCade Grand Jury Award – Winner
- International Mobile Gaming Award – Winner
- 16 Bit Award for Best PC Game – Winner
- BAFTA Nominated (Best Performer – Navid Negahban)
- Sundance Film Festival – Official Selection
- The PAX 10 at PAX West – Official selection
- SXSW Innovation Award – Finalist
- D.I.C.E. Sprite Award – Finalist
- D.I.C.E. Outstanding Achievement In Game Direction – Finalist
- The Game Awards Best Impact – Finalist
- IGN Best Story Award – Finalist
- NY Game Awards Game of the Year – Finalist
- IGF Excellence in Narrative Award – Finalist
- GDC Best Debut – Finalist
ABOUT THE GAME
Based on true stories and historical events, 1979 Revolution: Black Friday is an interactive drama about choice and consequence, chaos and order.
The year is 1978, the place is Tehran, Iran. You play as Reza Shirazi, a young photojournalist who returns home to find his people protesting the ruling King, the Shah. Armed with your camera, you capture the emotionally-charged stories and events unfolding on the streets and in the shadows.
As you’re pulled deeper into the dangerous world of civil unrest and revolution, the fate of those around you becomes intrinsically linked to the decisions you make and the path you choose to follow.
- Critical Choices: The choices you make will shape your experience in the revolution, and the fates of those around you – both in the present and the future.
- Cinematic Experience: Branching cinematic story told through motion captured animation and voice over performances. Discover the rarely seen world of Tehran in the 1970s, through a striking visual style.
- Exploration: Explore the world of the collapsing city under martial law: covert headquarters, rioting protests, bustling city streets and more.
- Photography: Take photos of the period accurate in-game world and compare them to the original archival photos captured by celebrated photojournalists.
- Unique Gameplay: Including urban triage, interactive action scenes and photo processing.
- Key Collectables: Discover and unlock more than 80+ unique stories that color and enhance your experience of the Iranian Revolution, including primary sources such as archival videos, home movies, graffiti, photographs and more.
- Based on True Events: Based on real first-hand testimonies of freedom fighters, witnesses and casualties of the revolution which helped define the 21st century, as well as those who were imprisoned in Iran’s notorious Evin Prison.